Wednesday, July 17, 2013

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Blondies with Cinnamon Topping


      I went to Hawaii once when I was around 7 years old I think.  All I can remember are the macadamia nuts.  

      We went into a macadamia nut factory and got free samples of chocolate covered macadamia nuts, and I was addicted.  When we brought some home, I always sneaked a couple into my mouth when no one was looking. 

       On that trip, I also discovered my favorite cookie flavor ever: white chocolate macadamia nut (I've only had those cookies a couple of times, though, and they can't beat a classic oatmeal raisin).
  
        White chocolate macadamia nut cookies are best gooey, and this blondie is kind of like that.  Before I made these, my opinion of blondies wasn't that great.  I never made them before, and the one blondie that I ever ate was dry.  But now I realized that they really are like brownies without the cocoa powder; they are gooey and rich, and they don't need any leavening.  

          I sprinkled some cinnamon-sugar on top because it's wonderful and delicious and like edible fairy dust.  It makes these blondies unforgettable.   

           Making these blondies is very simple:

Melt some butter in a saucepan.   
Whisk in some brown sugar until smooth.
Pour the mixture into a bowl and beat in an egg.  And yes, I used a fork for all of my  whisking and beating.
Stir in the vanilla.
Stir in flour and salt. 
Toast some chopped macadamia nuts.
Stir those in with the white chocolate.
Make the cinnamon topping.
Spread batter into pan.
Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
Bake for about 20 minutes and let cool for about half an hour.
Cut into squares and serve.

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Blondies w/ Cinnamon Topping

makes 16 squares
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup (218 grams) light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch salt
1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
3/4 cups white chocolate pieces
3/4 cups macadamia nuts
For the topping:
1 tbs cinnamon
1 tbs light brown sugar
1 tbs white sugar

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350*F.  Butter an 8x8" or 9x9" baking pan.  Line with a piece of parchment paper and butter the parchment.  Place macadamia nuts on a baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes, until light brown.
  2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Whisk in the brown sugar until smooth.  Remove from heat and pour the mixture into a large bowl.
  3. Beat in the egg until smooth, then stir in the vanilla. Then, stir in the flour and salt until just combined.  Add the white chocolate and nuts and stir until evenly mixed. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spoon.
  4. Whisk together the ingredients for the topping and sprinkle it over the blondie batter.  Bake for 20 minutes and let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.  Cut into 16 squares and serve. 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment