Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Blueberry White Chocolate Cookies 

One thing I've always stumbled upon in magazines and recipe books is monster cookies.  If you don't already know, they are basically chocolate chip cookies, only with crazy ingredients like M&Ms and pretzels mixed in to the point that you can't stir the batter  any more.  They always look so delicious, like everything I ever crave for in a fluffy, soft cookie.  Then one day, when I was looking for a cookie recipe to make for my family, I decided to make my own "monster cookie." Now, these cookies aren't as intense as some I've seen.  They are however full of  things that I especially love, like the oatmeal with blueberries my mom makes me on cold mornings and the peanut butter that I put in my PB&J sandwiches.  I really like how the flavors in this cookie complement each other: they contribute to a soft, delicate cookie and no ingredient overwhelms the others.  When making these, remember to soak the blueberries in hot water, orange juice, or, what I used, blueberry juice (since I had it on hand).  This rule goes for many other recipes as well, so if planning on making an addition to cornbread or muffins, I recommend soaking the dried berries first.  Otherwise you'll end up with hard, crispy fruit. I still have to come up with a name, so that you won't have to keep repeating "peanut butter oatmeal blueberry white chocolate" when people are complementing your amazing baking.  





Peanut Butter Oatmeal Blueberry White Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients

3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cups dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used all-natural creamy)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup dries blueberries, soaked in hot water (see note above)
3/4 cup white chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375*F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon with a fork.
Beat the butter and sugars together until creamy. (about 3 minutes) Add peanut butter and mix until creamy.
Add the egg and vanilla.  Mix until well-mixed.
On low speed, or with a wooden spoon, mix in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
Fold in oats, chocolate, and blueberries until evenly mixed.
Scoop into round balls and place on baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until the edges are light brown and puffy.  Don't over-bake since they will set while cooling on the baking sheet.
Let cool on sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack until cooled completely.





No comments:

Post a Comment