This is perfect served over couscous. This time, I used the out-of-the-box kind to save time. You can serve the ratatouille over any grain you want, and it's especially delicious with some feta cheese crumbled on top.
Makes 4-6 servings
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
2 tbs olive oil
1 small, skinny eggplant
1 small zucchini
1 small yellow squash
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
a few sliced portabella mushrooms
salt and pepper
fresh or dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 375*F
- In an oval-shaped baking dish about 10 inches across, combine the tomato past, onion, garlic, and one tablespoon of oil. Spread evenly around the dish.
- Thinly slice the vegetables (excluding mushrooms) to about 1/16th of an inch. Arrange in a swirl shape around the baking dish, alternating vegetables. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of oil on top, and season with salt and pepper. Then sprinkle on thyme.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to cover the dish.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the veggies are tender and the sauce is bubbling.
Whole Wheat Bread Sticks
makes 16-32 bread sticks depending on size
adapted from Bread World
1 cup warm water (about 115*F)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs honey
2-1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 large egg
2-1/2 to 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbs vital wheat gluten
3 tbs ground flax seeds
1/3 cup dry milk powder
1 egg white+ 1 tbs water, beaten together (for egg wash)
parmesan, salt, garlic salt (for sprinkling, optional)
- Dissolve salt and honey in the water in a large bowl and sprinkle yeast on top. Let sit 5 minutes. stir in egg and oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups flour, gluten, flax, and milk powder. Slowly add to wet ingredients while stirring to form a soft dough.
- On a floured surface, knead dough until stretchy and smooth, adding flour as necessary. It will be just a little bit sticky. It takes about 10 minutes to knead. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit 10 minutes for the gluten to develop.
- Roll into a rectangle about 8" x 12" in dimensions. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut into 16 long strips about 1/2 inch wide. Take each strip and twist into desired shape (you can cut each strip in half if you want shorter bread sticks). Place on a greased baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Brush dough with egg wash and sprinkle on toppings if desired. Bake for 14-18 minutes, until golden brown.